The aim of our work is to plan sustainable buildings and urban districts. Our planning and conslutancy work therefore include all important factors that have an influence on the ecological quality of these units.
This includes not only the construction phase but also the integration of the use as well as future renovations and conversion phases. The basis here is always an analysis of the sustainability goals and parameters to be taken into account. Life cycle analyses and economic feasibility studies guarantee a holistic view.
- Commissioned Research and Conceptual Studies
- Phase 0 — Consulting for Competitions and Exclusive Option Periods
- Circular Building Ecology & Emission Minimisation
- ESG — Compliance Assessments, EU Taxonomy and CRREM Consulting
- Thermal Building Physics & Energy Optimization
- Holistic Simulation
- Acoustics (Urban, Building and Room Acoustics)
- Sustainability Certifications (in accordance with the DGNB, LEED, BREEAM, BNB, WELL and Greenpass)
- Sustainability Master Planning
- Existing Building Sustainable Revitalization
- Sustainable Districts
Commissioned Research and Conceptual Studies
At Werner Sobek, we know that non-project specific represent a key foundational tool for knowledge generation within companies and organisations. That is why we offer a comprehensive range of customisable studies for manufacturers, construction firms and developers alike. These investigations with no direct ties to any particular project help us provide insights and recommendations for actions you can take. This includes the development of sustainability strategies. For example, we can carry out studies into the amortisation periods of the greenhouse gas emissions involved in renovation works on large portfolios. We can also devise strategies for the integration of recycling-compatible and LCA-related planning.
- Defining the subject of the study and setting objectives
- Establishing the scope of the investigation and the initial parameters
- Scientific reviews
- Interpreting the results and drawing up recommendations for action
- Writing up the results in report form
Phase 0 — Consulting for Competitions and Exclusive Option Periods
Phase 0 refers to the foundational conceptual work that precedes the classic service phases of a project. At Werner Sobek, we know that this is a time when key strategic decisions are made that will have a decisive influence on the future environmental, economic and functional performance of the building in question. As a result, we offer fundamental sustainability consulting services for all kinds of construction works via such methods as comparing different demolition, partial demolition, renovation and new build scenarios. When it comes to approval procedures, we define exclusive option period criteria and sustainability measures that take the requirements of individual local authorities and of state, federal and European-level legislation into account. Where required, we can carry out site analyses, project planning assessments and feasibility studies. The scope of the services we offer also includes conducting workshops with the parties involved in the planning process and both providing support with and acting as independent subject matter experts for competition procedures.
- Scenario comparisons (e.g. new builds vs. transformations of existing structures)
- Defining and developing exclusive option period criteria and sustainability goals
- Conceptual site analyses: climate, transport links, availability of materials
- Project planning assessments
- Comparing and coordinating the desired energy standard with the intended emissions optimisations (set-up and management)
- Providing overviews of available funding opportunities
- Conducting feasibility studies
Circular Building Ecology & Emission Minimisation
Analysing and optimising the material circularity and greenhouse gas emissions of projects involving new builds and existing structures forms an integral part of the sustainability consulting we offer at Werner Sobek. Depending on your requirements, we can develop detailed plans, carry out emission calculations throughout the planning process and establish links with the relevant BIM models. In addition to preparing decision papers and construction component comparisons, we also create passports for materials and building resources. A further service we offer is managing the use of recycled materials. This dovetails closely with the building ecology consulting we provide that gives you a comprehensive picture of the planned and existing construction materials in your projects and structures. Our team’s wealth of expertise in structural and facade planning also allows us to call on specialists to consult on design details at any time.
- Determining grey emissions (entire projects and individual components)
- Determining operational emissions (incl. minimisation strategies)
- Determining the maximum achievable recycling quotas (reuse, repurposing, recycling into similar/different products and materials) incl. strategy development
- Creating and maintaining material and building resource passports
- Preparing deconstruction and recycling instructions
- Developing optimised alternatives/plans of structural details
- Managing recycling processes
- Cost estimates
- BIM integration
- Material ecology consulting
- Environmental building component comparisons
ESG — Compliance Assessments, EU Taxonomy and CRREM Consulting
ESG compliance assessments are becoming increasingly important for property portfolio holders and developers alike. At Werner Sobek, we can carry out these assessments, provide consulting on process optimisation and prepare final reports, all in close alignment and synergy with various certification processes where required (e.g. DGNB and WELL). If you would like an alternative to the ESG compliance declarations produced by us in-house, we can draw up ESG reports that undergo an independent review by the DGNB. We take care of the entirety of this process, including submission of the necessary evidence and documentation. We would also be more than happy to advise you on optimising your portfolios of existing and new build properties.
CRREM consulting involves calculating and optimising operational energy levels in order to adhere to the climate conservation pathways (for both the 1.5°C and 2°C goals). At Werner Sobek, we offer the services necessary for this to take place, namely by providing thermal simulations, consulting and evidence for the respective energy-related project pathways in question (incl. reporting).
- Consulting during the planning phase (specification documents, etc.)
- Examining and evaluating the data
- Potential analyses of the property or portfolio (what is still outstanding for ESG compliance?)
- Submission to the DGNB and other verification bodies
- Analysing climate risks and climate resilience measures
- CRREM consulting and optimisation strategies
Thermal simulations and energy calculations
Thermal Building Physics & Energy Optimization
At its core, this area of our business consists of providing fundamental services in the disciplines of building physics, thermal insulation and energy balance sheet preparation. It also involves optimising the energy demand of structures and planning for/consulting on designs that require no advanced building physics analysis.
We define and coordinate the building components that make up the thermal envelope — particularly with regard to the necessary insulation values — and refine and evaluate the energy concept as required.
This scope of services also includes considering thermal bridges and conducting hygrothermal building component simulations. These are vital prerequisites for meeting established sustainability targets, especially when it comes to energy-efficient renovations and the construction of Efficiency Houses.
Where applicable, we can advise you on available funding opportunities and any relevant adjustments that need to be made in the concept and planning stages of your project.
At Werner Sobek, building physics forms an integral part of the work we do on sustainability consulting, simulations and structural and facade planning. This means we are always in a position to develop emission-optimised solutions for our clients.
- Developing the fundamental energy specifications for a project
- Demonstrating the potential for the use of renewable energy in a project
- Capturing building envelope data and creating models
- Energy balance sheet preparation (Hottengroth, Dämmwerk, etc.) incl. technical building services mapping
- Thermal bridge analyses (2D, 3D)
- Hygrothermal building component simulations
- Consulting on BEG funding opportunities (BEG = Federal Funding for Efficient Buildings)
- Building physics consulting
The central component of the simulation services we offer consists of using dynamic simulations in the design and execution stages of a project (incl. microclimate, UTCI and wind comfort simulations) to optimise the energy demand, daylight levels, emissions and comfort of the buildings and neighbourhoods in question. We can optimise building operations both in a project’s planning phase (via predictive simulations) and in its operational phase (via the identification of performance gaps using digital twins and as-built calibrated models). We also employ integrated multi-domain simulations — particularly in conjunction with building physics and facade planning services — to ensure that a project’s operational emissions objectives are met. This can be further verified after completion with the help of our post-occupancy evaluations.
- Developing climate and energy concepts for buildings and neighbourhoods
- Conducting renewable energy analyses
- Thermal simulations and design optimisations, including mapping of all relevant building components and of technical building services
- Climate-based daylight simulations and visual comfort optimisations
- Capturing data on the daylight factor and insolation levels
- Wind comfort and ventilation studies (computational fluid dynamics)
- Microclimate simulations for the outdoor space
- Creating and maintaining a digital twin
- Operational phase: performance analyses and optimisation strategies
Urban, Building and Room Acoustics
This area of our business encompasses the provision of basic and specialised building physics services in the disciplines of building acoustics (noise control) and room acoustics. Building acoustics involves defining structural component assemblies and coordinating them to achieve the desired or required acoustic comfort class. The building components that are examined in this context include facades, partition walls and — in particular — separating floors.
For its part, room acoustics involves defining the surfaces that enclose a space (suspended ceilings, floor coverings and wall coverings/surfaces where applicable) and coordinating them to create the most comfortable, acoustically healthy environment possible. Our work on building and room acoustics is further complemented by post-occupancy evaluations and the use of simulations (e.g. room acoustics simulations and simulations carried out for expert immission reports). We also provide consulting for master plans regarding matters of sound propagation and the acoustic comfort of outdoor spaces. At Werner Sobek, the field of acoustics is closely intertwined with the disciplines of structural, facade and sustainability planning. This allows us consistently to devise holistic solutions that feature integral emission-reduction measures.
- Building acoustics consulting and verification management (noise control)
- Room acoustics consulting and verification management
- Simulations of significant external noise levels in accordance with DIN 4109
- Simulations and verification in accordance with the Technical Instructions on Noise Abatement (TA Lärm)
- Room acoustics simulations for open-plan offices and other spatial configurations
- Developing alternatives and optimisation strategies
At Werner Sobek, we conduct building and neighbourhood certifications using a wide range of established certification systems. We focus primarily on the DGNB and BNB, and can also certify your project in accordance with LEED, WELL, Greenpass and the HafenCity Ecolabel. We undertake sustainability certifications for individual buildings, building clusters and entire neighbourhoods. For best results, such certifications are carried out as a central component of the overarching sustainability planning we provide. Indeed, the highest assessment ratings are achieved via our integrated sustainability planning service that enjoys the holistic support of our specialists from a variety of disciplines, including circular building ecology, building physics and simulation in particular.
- Quick checks and pre-assessments (incl. comparative assessments)
- DGNB certification (incl. submission)
- BNB certification (incl. submission)
- LEED certification (incl. submission)
- HCU certification (incl. submission)
- WELL certification (incl. submission)
- Cost calculations for additional measures
- Environmental performance assessments
- Life cycle assessments
- Material ecology consulting
- Simulations for individual certificates (thermal, daylight, etc.)
Sustainability Master Planning
Planning projects in an holistically sustainable way requires more than a sustainability certification from such bodies as the DGNB. Indeed, ensuring that the sustainability goals defined in the initial phases of the planning process actually come to fruition calls for continual technical assistance and supervision in all areas. In our work as sustainability managers, we establish the necessary processes across all key disciplines, build momentum, develop recommendations for technical solutions and coordinate these measures with the requirements of certification procedures and the project’s overarching objectives. We enable the development of project-specific solutions that go beyond standardised processes by facilitating an intensive, clearly structured dialogue between all of the central planning participants. At Werner Sobek, we can also work on the developer’s side of the equation, building momentum and supervising the progress of established sustainability goals on their behalf.
- Creating overarching sustainability concepts for buildings or neighbourhoods
- Preparing and maintaining master lists for different trades
- Defining and verifying a range of numerical target values, including GWP/m2, energy use, air quality, water use, waste generation, etc.
- Defining and analysing various reference projects and benchmarks (LCA GWP, kWh/m2 energy, etc.)
- Putting forward suitable product recommendations
- Creating core documents for LCAs, energy and climate
- Developer-side supervision of a project’s sustainability goals
Existing Building Sustainable Revitalization
This area of our business involves the development of strategies for dealing with portfolios of existing buildings, be they individual buildings, ensembles or neighbourhoods as a whole. The overall goal of this work is to transform existing structures to create climate-neutral property portfolios. At Werner Sobek, the consulting services we offer include conducting investigations and suggesting measures for the supply of heating/cooling in buildings and for renovation works. We are able to provide comprehensive consulting and both develop and implement decarbonisation strategies for your portfolio by drawing on our team’s detailed technical expertise across a range of disciplines. This wealth of background knowledge allows us to devise holistic strategies that feature concrete technical proposals for solutions you can adopt. Our consulting also takes such non-technical constraints as indicative cost parameters, rental law and cost-effective building operations into account.
- Defining reference values
- Analysing and documenting existing structures
- Contextualising technical constraints
- Method comparisons
- Developing variants
- Coordinating with public authorities and historical preservation bodies
- Integrating additional specialist disciplines
- Defining potential measures and design solutions
- Cost estimations
- Support during the implementation phase
- CRREM analyses
We need to think holistically when we think about the sustainability of neighbourhoods. That is why we offer environmental consulting services for new build, existing and transformation-ready neighbourhoods alike. In so doing, we combine such services as neighbourhood certifications and thermal/wind simulations together and bring them to bear at the neighbourhood level. As you might expect, we complement our work on neighbourhood biodiversity with a focus on matters of social sustainability and the need to put a resilient, self-sufficient energy concept in place. At Werner Sobek, we can also advise teams of planners and developers on creating a vision and defining the concrete goals that will underpin the planning process as a whole.
- Creating overarching sustainability concepts for neighbourhoods
- Biodiversity concepts
- Neighbourhood certifications
- Climate and energy concepts for buildings and neighbourhoods
- Strategy development
- Producing feasibility studies and position papers
- Developer-side supervision of a project’s sustainability goals
- Preparing informative documents, e.g. for public bodies